New Delhi: It has been more than a year and a half since the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic began. The pandemic has affected almost everyone in the world. Children have been one of the greatest victims of this crisis. They missed school, games, meeting friends and more and were forced to take online classes.
Zee News anchor Aditi Tyagi discussed on Tuesday, June 1 the impact of the pandemic and, therefore, online lessons on children.
Before the pandemic, children went to school as soon as they woke up in the morning. They used to meet their friends and study at school. Then they would come home and relax. Some children took private lessons after school. They were doing their homework. Their playing time was fixed. The parks were full of them in the evening.
But the pandemic has changed everything. This had a dramatic effect on the children’s lives. Now they are confined to their homes all day, seven days a week.
In such a situation, when a six-year-old girl complained to the Prime Minister about lengthy online courses, it was bound to have an impact. The video of the Kashmiri girl has gone viral and Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Manoj Sinha has taken notice.
Sinha ordered online lessons for students in grades 1 to 8 to last no more than an hour and a half. The online course for classes 9 to 12 will be 3 hours. And no homework will be given before class 5.
The girl raised valid questions. Many studies indicate that children should stay away from mobile phones, computers and laptops, but now these devices have become the scale of their future.
The question is whether online education is as effective as schooling. Here are some points to note in this regard:
1. Doctors believe that social interaction plays a big role in a child’s development. A child goes out, meets friends, interacts with teachers and learns a lot in such social situations. But the pandemic and online studies have taken children away from social interactions.
2. Another major disadvantage of online learning is that the knowledge and understanding a student gains from online courses is limited. Often kids complain about not understanding things in online lessons.
3. Spending too much time on cellphones spoils children’s sleeping pattern.
4. Due to online studies, face-to-face communication ability in children does not develop well.
5. Online education drives children to loneliness.
6. Another major disadvantage of online education is that children might be exposed to lots of harmful information available on the internet.
It’s not that online education is bad. It has become a necessity today. At a time when schools cannot function normally, the Internet has become a very useful tool in the education of children. However, we must also be aware of the burden it places on the minds of children. People need to find ways to help children in these difficult times.